top of page

4 Reasons to Switch your Hand Gel to Alcohol-Free Sanitising Water

Labology 3_4 reasons to switch hand gel sanitisers to alcohol free alternative

When it comes to finding the best hand gel sanitiser for the whole family, there are a couple of things you'll want to consider. Of course, right at the top of the list is how effective is it and how quickly does it work? Alcohol at 70% concentration has become a popular choice due to its 99.9% antibacterial activity. However, it has its drawbacks, which can be quite serious with long term use, and in extreme cases, even detrimental to the wellbeing of some family members. Here are our top four reasons why we'd recommend switching to an alcohol-free sanitiser spray like our Super Antibacterial Sanitising Water:

1. Causes skin problems

From dry cracked skin to eczema, alcohol sanitisers and hand gels can irritate the skin. One of the proposed mechanisms is that they can alter the microbiome on the skin and compromise your skin barrier resulting in sensitivity. Our sanitising water is a gentle alternative that is dermatologically tested and hypoallergenic. It feels just like water on the skin, but has antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties. What's more is, unlike hand gels, sanitising water is non-drying and won't feel at all sticky. It's so gentle you can even use it on the most delicate skin types such as newborns.

2. It's not the most effective

You might be surprised to learn that alcohol isn't the best hand and surface sanitiser you can buy. Not only is it ineffective against Norovirus and Hepatitis A, superbugs are developing resistance to it. By comparison, Hypochlorous Acid based sanitisers, like our Super Antibacterial Sanitising Water, is proven effective against 99.9999% bacteria, 99.99% viruses including Covid-19 on hard surfaces, Norovirus and Hepatitis A, as well as 99.9% of spores. It really is the best hand and surface sanitiser you can buy.

Labology 3 Pack of 3 Super Antibacterial Hand and Surface Sanitiser Spray made with Hypochlorous Acid Sanitising Water

3. Can be toxic if misused

Alcohol sanitisers are flammable if exposed to a flame. They are also lethal if accidentally ingested by kids. This is why alcohol based hand gels and sanitiser sprays aren't safe choices for kids and young teens. With hand sanitiser sprays becoming a back to school essential in post lockdown life, it's all the more important we opt for safe and effective alternatives for our kids. The good news is sanitising water is very safe, even if accidentally ingested (of course, we wouldn't recommend this). Made with electrolysed water and salt, you can put it into your kids' schoolbag or spray on babies hands, worry-free.

However, not all sanitising waters are made the same; they're not all registered and compliant with the Biocidal Products Regulation (BPR). The BPR are the legal body that ensure safety and efficacy of cleaning products. Unfortunately, unregulated sanitising waters dominate the market. They risk being too weak and ineffective or even worse, may contain bleach. It might cost you a bit more, but be sure to opt for sanitising waters that are BPR compliant and stored in black UV bottles, like ours!

4. It's more harmful to the environment

You might be surprised to learn that manufacturing alcohol sanitisers contributes to the carbon economy. This means using alcohol hand and surface sanitisers such as hand gels has an indirect impact on our environment. Switching to our sanitising water is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint.

bottom of page